Tuesday, February 23, 2010

goodbye for now

Some people come into our lives and we are better just for having known them.

For any of you who knew Roland Trump, you know that he was that kind of man.
He and his sweet wife Suzie raised 9 wonderful children, 6 of which they adopted.
He served in the scouting program for many years where he influenced many boys for good.
When one of those scouts didn't show up for church,
he would visit them and invite them back.
He would take them to baseball games, just one on one.
He always had a few dollars to share with the homeless.
It was just in his nature to love everyone,
his family, his neighbors, the homeless, and the Lord.

Tyler had the honor of being one of his scouts. Roland took Tyler under his wing and kept him involved. My family also had the privledge of knowing him throughout the years because my mom helped clean their house. I got to go cleaning with her the summer Tyler and I started dating. Since Roland knew both Tyler and I, he took a special interest in our courtship. He warned me that Tyler was "an old returned mission who looking for a wife, so I better watch out because he would try to marry me". He was a big propenent of our getting married, and always quick so ask how we were doing since.

Roland found out about two years ago that we was diagnosed with ALS (lou gehric's disease). His body slowly turned on him and his muscles and organs shut down one by one. But that didn't stop his love and service. He kept visiting neighbors and serving in any way he could, until the day he died.

On Thursday, February 18th, 2010, Roland Trump passed away.

He will be remember by Tyler and I, and many more, as an amazing man who served everyone around him. There are many more accounts of his life, told by people who are much more elequent, found here. I hope I can always remember his example and try my best to live as good of life as he did. We'll miss you Roland.

2 comments:

Alyse said...

Hey! I'm glad I found your blog! My grandpa died of ALS, and it's a tough one for sure. But, this man sounds like a wonderful guy. I'm sure he's still doing wonderful things :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Lindsey. He definitely looks familiar. No doubt he's still changing lives in heaven. Thanks for sharing this beautiful message.